Product reviews are crucial for credibility and SEO on Amazon. Yet getting those initial sales and reviews can be challenging when starting out. This comprehensive guide reveals tactics successful sellers use to earn more Amazon reviews ethically to boost product performance.
Table of Contents
Why Amazon Reviews Matter
High-quality reviews influence consumers and improve search visibility:
- Social proof – Reviews lend credibility and confidence in purchase decision.
- SEO boost – Products with more reviews tend to rank higher in search results.
- Higher conversion – Listings with reviews convert at a 270% higher rate according to BrightLocal.
- Mitigate returns – Detailed reviews set appropriate expectations to avoid dissatisfaction returns.
- Faster momentum – Early reviews propel a listing to gain traction faster in Amazon’s algorithm.
While authentically earning reviews takes work, the payoff in sales velocity makes it well worth the effort.
How Many Reviews Do You Need on Amazon?
While more reviews are always better, these benchmarks provide sales lift:
- 3+ reviews – Perceived as more legitimate versus 0 reviews
- 5+ reviews – Commonly viewed as respectable for new listings
- 10+ reviews – Provides social proof and visibility
- 50+ reviews – Consumers more comfortable purchasing
- 100+ reviews – Majority of best sellers reach this level quickly
Shoot for 10+ reviews initially. Then continue building volume over time.
Amazon Review Types
Reviews on Amazon include:
Reviews from verified purchasers sharing details on their experience with the specific product sold by the brand. Most impactful for conversion.
Measures seller-specific service rather than product. Influences “Buy Box” eligibility.
Amazon Vine Reviews
Program where brands provide free products to selected reviewers in exchange for detailed reviews. All opinions of reviewers.
When Amazon influencers review products they purchased themselves through regular affiliate links. Discloses affiliate relationship.
Professional third-party product evaluations provided by established publications and reviewers.
Aim to accumulate primarily product reviews from regular customers. Other review types provide supplementary credibility.
Warning Signs of Fake Reviews
While against Amazon’s terms, some sellers artificially generate reviews. Watch for:
- Hundreds of reviews suddenly appearing simultaneously
- Review dates concentrated in short spans
- All reviews generic, overly positive, very brief
- Mix of unrelated products reviewed by same users
- Language errors indicative of non-native speakers
Fake reviews destroy trust. Report dishonest competitors to protect customers. Authenticity matters.
Review Optimization Fundamentals
Ensure reviews help customers make informed decisions:
- Respond politely – Reply to both positive and negative feedback when appropriate.
- Fix issues – If customers report problems, address immediately.
- Update listings – Reflect frequent comments about product details, pros/cons.
- Remove ambiguities – Eliminate reasons for unwarranted negative reviews.
- Guide expectations – Help reviews match product with clarifying details upfront.
- Moderate when needed – Flag offensive or irrelevant reviews for Amazon to remove as needed.
Well-managed reviews create a feedback loop improving product quality and conversion.
Amazon Review Guidelines
- Compensating for reviews in any way, including free or discounted products
- Asking buyers to only leave positive reviews
- Asking purchasers to change existing reviews
- Selling reviews
- Using third parties to write false reviews
Violating guidelines risks listings removed and accounts suspended. Don’t take shortcuts.
Getting Product Reviews by Giveaway
Contests give products visibility to generate reviews:
- Run giveaways requiring entry via verified purchase.
- Promote on social media, email lists, website.
- Limit entries for better odds attracting interest.
- Use contest tools like Gleam to manage legal rules and requirements.
- Provide coupon codes so winners still pay nominal amount but you earn sales credit.
- Politely request winners provide an honest review after trying product.
Ensure all promotion guidelines and laws are followed. Amazon may penalize dishonest giveaways. When run properly, contests generate buzz, new customers and reviews.
Getting Reviews from Amazon Vine Program
The Amazon Vine program sends products to trusted reviewers:
- Brands supply units for free or steep discount to Amazon.
- Amazon emails select reviewers from the Vine program to voluntarily review samples.
- Products should retail for $15+ and be unreleased for maximum benefit.
- No guarantee of reviews.
- Can be worthwhile for big-ticket items needing exposure.
Vine works best for established brands with new premium products needing visibility. Costly to participate so confirm ROI.
Getting Amazon Reviews from Affiliates
Affiliate marketing partnerships incentivize product exposure:
- Research relevant niche affiliates open to product samples
- Ship sample products to audiobookers, vloggers, influencers
- Provide affiliate links for them to buy additional colors, pairs etc
- Commission incentivizes them to review and recommend honestly
Micro-influencers often convert better than celebrities with higher integrity. Ensure FTC compliance disclosing affiliate relationship.
Getting Early Reviews from Friends and Family
Avoid having zero reviews by politely requesting honest feedback from trusted contacts willing to purchase and try your products. Ensure they:
- Have an established Amazon account and history
- Purchase via regular purchase links
- Write their own unique fair review based on actual use
- Are clear on review guidelines
Reviews from those with context on your efforts provide initial social proof and feedback while building authentic reviews.
Just avoid excessive coordinated efforts that could appear manipulative. Amazon wants organic authentic feedback from real customers.
Using Amazon Jumpstart to Get Initial Reviews
Amazon Jumpstart allows new products to get early reviews by providing discounted units to select buyers:
- You offer a promotion like 90% off for new products.
- Amazon emails deal to buyers open to trying new arrivals.
- Interested customers purchase discounted unit but are under no obligation to review.
- Collect feedback helping launch unknown products or brands.
Jumpstart is permission-based and offered by Amazon directly. When available, it helps new products gain traction.
Getting Amazon Reviews from Shoppers Enrolled In Your Loyalty Program
Loyalty programs incentivize reviews:
- Offer points, discounts, or gifts based on customer actions like writing reviews
- Points earned for purchases and engagement helps motivate reviews
- Makes buyers feel invested and willing to support your brand
Just ensure program guidelines and review requests encourage honest feedback vs feeling manipulated. Incentives structured properly motivate engagement and reviews.
Reply to Both Positive and Negative Reviews
Responding thoughtfully to reviews boosts conversion:
- Thank customers for taking time to provide feedback
- For negative issues, apologize and offer to make it right
- Providing solutions reassures future buyers
- If policy constraints, transparently share reasons with reviewer
- For positive reviews, express appreciation and highlight favorite feedback
Interacting directly answers buyer questions and reassures them of responsive support.
Common Review Generation Mistakes to Avoid
Steer clear of tactics generating insincere reviews:
- Purchasing reviews – illegal and gets your account shut down
- Reimbursing for purchases contingent on positive reviews
- Pressuring reviewers to take down or change negative reviews
- Trying to manipulate rankings with fake or paid reviews
- Incentivizing only positive reviews
Authenticity matters to consumers. Unethical shortcuts ultimately backfire in lost trust.
Managing Amazon Review Volume
Too few or too many reviews also have downsides:
- Under 10 reviews – Lacks social proof for unfamiliar products
- 10-50 reviews – Sweet spot for converting buyers
- 50-100 reviews – Provides market validation
- 100-200 reviews – Review volume less important than content quality
- 200+ reviews – Extensive back and forth conversations may overwhelm customers
Adjust review generation efforts to reach minimum thresholds, then shift focus to cultivation.
Key Takeaways for Getting Amazon Reviews
- Authentically earn reviews over time by delighting customers
- Start building reviews immediately to kickstart momentum
- Carefully manage promotions and incentives to avoid appearing manipulative
- Address negative feedback promptly and politely
- Reply to reviews when appropriate to make connections
- Refine products and listings based on review insights
- Avoid purchasing or reimbursing for dishonest reviews
Put the customer experience first, not just review volume. Quality buzz from delighted buyers drives sales.
Getting Product Reviews on Amazon FAQs
Here are answers to frequently asked questions about getting more reviews on Amazon listings:
How quickly will I get reviews after launching a product?
For new brands with limited existing audience, it typically takes 2-3 weeks to get initial reviews. Have patience and use prompts. Popular brands see faster review generation.
What is the impact of negative reviews on sales?
A few negative reviews alongside mostly positive feedback can boost perceived authenticity and trust. But multiple low ratings hurt conversion rates according to BrightLocal data.
Can I offer refunds to customers who leave bad reviews?
No, compensating for any review – positive or negative – violates Amazon’s terms.
How often should I ask customers to leave reviews?
Avoid sounding desperate by space out review requests. Consider once after purchase, once after delivery, then occasionally with news of new inventory or products.
Does Amazon remove or filter reviews?
Yes. Amazon’s automated filters suppress some reviews suspected as fake or attempting manipulation. Legitimate reviews may get swept up also.
Customer reviews represent crucial social proof and organic visibility for products on Amazon. While authentically generating reviews takes work, tactics like post-purchase follow up, selective incentives and responding publicly pay dividends in increased sales, improved conversion and higher rankings. This guide provided a comprehensive game plan for earning more Amazon reviews ethically. Just remember that obsessive focus on review volume alone neglects the more essential goal of delighting shoppers.