Rakuten is a popular ecommerce marketplace that allows major companies and brands to sell products to millions of consumers worldwide. For businesses looking to expand their online sales channels, Rakuten provides an enticing opportunity.
This guide covers the key steps for brands to get set up on the Rakuten Marketplace and start generating revenue through the platform.
Table of Contents
Understand Rakuten’s Model
Rakuten operates differently than a traditional retailer:
- It facilitates transactions between buyers and third-party merchants
- Merchants handle fulfillment, returns, and customer service
- Rakuten provides the platform, customer base, and services like payments
- Commission fees apply for sellers based on product categories
Rakuten acts as a conduit connecting shoppers with sellers. Merchants retain ownership of the customer relationship.
Analyze Product Category Viability
Rakuten groups merchants into verticals:
- Apparel & Accessories
- Home & Garden
- Toys & Hobbies
Review top sellers in your product categories to evaluate if your merchandise aligns with buyer demand. Ensure competition is not oversaturated.
Submit Seller Application
Visit Rakuten Seller Registration and submit the online application:
- Select the product categories you will sell in
- Provide company information and payment details
- Upload documents like business licenses, tax IDs, and catalogs
- List brands and products you intend to list
- Submit any required application fees
You will be notified if approved to sell. This can take several weeks.
Integrate With the Rakuten API
Rakuten requires API integration to manage orders, inventory, reporting, and other critical functions programmatically.
You will need developer resources to properly integrate your ecommerce systems and business processes with the Rakuten API.
List Your Products
With integration complete, you can begin creating product listings in your Rakuten account:
- Enter all product details like title, description, specs, dimensions, etc.
- Upload high-quality images and videos
- Categorize products appropriately so buyers can find them
- Set competitive pricing reflective of the market
- Specify shipping and return policies
Follow Rakuten’s catalog quality standards for the best visibility.
Fulfill Orders and Deliver Top Service
As orders come in, you are responsible for timely order processing, fulfillment from your warehouse, and managing any customer service needs including returns:
- Integrate tracking with Rakuten so visibility is provided
- Meet stated processing and delivery timeline expectations
- Resolve issues quickly and monitor for negative reviews
- Maintain adequate inventory to prevent backorders
- Provide regular feed files of any product data changes
Your fulfillment performance impacts eligibility for promotions and preferred placement by Rakuten.
Selling on a marketplace like Rakuten enables your brand to tap into new customer segments. Bring your A-game when it comes to product quality and service levels.
FAQs About Selling on Rakuten
What fees does Rakuten charge sellers?
Rakuten charges around 15% commission on product sales price. Higher for certain categories like electronics. Transaction and payment processing fees also apply.
Can anyone easily register as a Rakuten seller?
No, Rakuten thoroughly vets sellers on criteria like sales history, catalog size, operations capabilities, and financials.
Is there a minimum sales requirement?
Yes, your account can be suspended if you don’t generate minimum sales volumes outlined in your agreement, usually around $10k+ monthly.
Does Rakuten provide the platform and payment processing?
Yes, sellers do not need their own website or payment gateway. Rakuten provides the full infrastructure and handles payments.
Is Rakuten only available in certain countries?
Rakuten operates marketplaces globally in major countries like the US, Japan, Germany, UK, France and more.
With billions in annual sales, Rakuten provides incredible reach for eligible sellers. Submit your seller application today to get started.