Amazon product descriptions must persuade visitors to become buyers. This comprehensive guide reveals techniques top sellers use to craft compelling Amazon product descriptions that drive conversions.
Table of Contents
Why Product Descriptions Matter on Amazon
High-converting descriptions are crucial for Amazon sales. Great copy:
- Communicates Details – Thoroughly explain the product’s features, specs, materials etc.
- Positions Value – Describe what needs the product satisfies. Share benefits.
- Builds Trust – Provides details demonstrating quality, safety and reliability.
- Reinforces Branding – Use consistent tone, style and details aligning with brand identity.
- Encourages Action – Motivates customers to add the product to their cart and buy now.
Thoughtfully written product copy fuels purchasing intent and decisions.
How Product Descriptions Influence Buying Decisions
Robust descriptions influence customers throughout their purchase journey:
- Help match search intent – why customers searched for the item
- Make a strong first impression enticing product clicks
- Provide details customers evaluate when comparing options
- Answer common questions and address concerns
- Share unique value differentiating your offering
- Give final reassurance describing quality, support etc
- Create urgency and scarcity if applicable
- Remove friction and doubt leading customers to transact
Strategically tailor copy to convince at each stage in the buyer journey.
Best Practices for Writing Amazon Product Descriptions
These techniques formulate excellent Amazon product descriptions:
- Lead with the most important details – Top selling points, product purpose, key features. Get people’s attention fast.
- Focus on benefits – Don’t just state specs. Explain how the product improves people’s lives.
- Use emotional resonance – Align with motivations like saving time, confidence, comfort.
- Leverage power words – Action verbs and adjectives add impact.
- Include relevant keywords – Naturally work in high-volume search terms, synonyms and misspellings.
- Format readably – Use short paragraphs, bullet points and emphasis for easy scanning.
- Provide technical info – Dimensions, materials, compatibilities etc. Give ample details to inform.
- Add social proof – Positive ratings, reviews and customer endorsements build credibility.
- Close with a clear CTA – “Add to Cart” or limited-time language drives purchases.
Compelling descriptions artfully blend benefits, practical info and emotional resonance.
Crafting Amazon Product Descriptions Step-by-Step
Follow a methodical process creating descriptions:
Step 1 – Brainstorm Key Details
List product features, technical specs, materials, uses, selling points etc.
Step 2 – Identify Buyer Motivations
Determine the needs, desires, and problems the product solves for customers.
Step 3 – Highlight Differentiators
Note unique benefits and competitive advantages over alternatives.
Step 4 – Outline Content Structure
Organize details into logical positioning and paragraphs.
Step 5 – Draft Descriptive Copy
Bring outline to life with powerful words, emotional resonance and hidden keywords.
Step 6 – Add Formatting and Visuals
Use emphasis, bullets, images, icons and videos to engage readers.
Step 7 – Refine and Tweak
Edit ruthlessly. Check page length, detail and calls-to-action.
This structured approach develops persuasive and comprehensive descriptions.
Common Amazon Description Mistakes to Avoid
Sidestep these product description blunders:
- Leading with hype using excessive capitalization, emojis, exclamation points! Buyer skepticism.
- Giant walls of text lacking paragraph breaks or visuals. Instant overwhelm.
- Overfocusing on features rather than meaningful benefits and outcomes for customers.
- Relying too heavily on specs and minutiae. Lose reader interest fast.
- Short, sparse or vague descriptions suggesting the product lacks quality.
- Keyword stuffing awkwardly. Readers notice manipulation attempts.
- Using industry jargon rather than conversational language. Confuses customers.
- Neglecting compelling headlines and subheads to improve skimmability.
Keep the customer’s perspective top of mind. Write to inform and convince them.
Examples of Great Amazon Product Descriptions
Let’s look at excerpts from two stellar Amazon product descriptions:
Wireless Earbuds Example
Introducing PowerBeats Pro – the ultimate wireless earbuds for athletes and fitness enthusiasts looking for total freedom without compromising rich, immersive sound.
With adjustable secure-fit hooks and long-lasting 9-hour battery life, PowerBeats enable your most strenuous workouts without ever popping out or powering down mid-set. Sweat and water resistant construction keeps music flowing come rain or shine.
Notable features include:
- Completely wireless earhook design
- IP4 water resistant rating
- Dual syncing via both ears
- Easy pairing with Apple and Android phones
- Rich bass-driven sound profile
Take your training to the next level with PowerBeats Pro. Add to Cart today backed by our 1-year warranty. Be unstoppable.
Camping Lantern Example
Illuminate your outdoor adventures until the wee hours with LUMEN X3000. Our ultra-bright LED camping lantern shines strong all night – perfect for tent camping, power outages, outdoor parties and more.
- 360° maximum lumens output floods entire area with light
- Durable waterproof and dustproof housing (IP55 rated)
- Integrated 6000 mAh rechargeable battery provides up to 12 hours runtime; LEDs 100,000 hour lifespan
- Collapsible design packs away neatly; carrying handle for easy transport
- Solar panel tops off battery pack during daylight hours
With LUMEN X3000, reliable bright 360° illumination goes wherever you go. Add to Cart now and enjoy our no hassle 1 year warranty.
These examples demonstrate excellent blending of product details, emotional hooks, and conversion cues. Study and emulate such top-notch descriptions.
Tips for Optimizing Amazon Product Descriptions
Follow these best practices optimizing product copy:
- Uniquely position – Differentiate from competitors’ descriptions. Give people reasons to choose your product.
- Localize listings – Use phrases and vocabulary tailored for each Amazon marketplace’s language and culture.
- A/B test descriptions – Try variations to identify what resonates best with buyers.
- Reuse content – Repurpose blurbs in ads or external marketing outreach.
- Update periodically – Make minor tweaks over time to stimulate renewed interest.
- Check performance – If poor conversion, rewrite descriptions to identify improvements.
- Protect IP – Report copycat descriptions infringing on intellectual property.
Refine language and messaging using insights from traffic and sales data.
Tools for Writing Amazon Product Descriptions
Software can assist with creating and optimizing Amazon product copy:
- Helium 10 Cerebro – Generates tailored description suggestions based on top Amazon listings.
- SellerApp – Checks descriptions against over 170 optimization criteria and provides improvement tips.
- Amazon Description Tool – Specifies SEO issues, identifies overused phrases and creates unique descriptions.
- Kenji Keyword Checker – Uncovers additional high-volume keywords and search terms to integrate.
- Hemingway Editor – Assesses readability and highlights difficult passages to refine.
Leverage tools strategically to accelerate enhancing descriptions while avoiding new issues.
Using A/B Testing to Optimize Product Descriptions
A/B testing compares variants to determine what converts best:
- Create 2+ versions – For example, highlight benefits vs features; different formatting or length.
- Set up split test – Tools like Splitly rotate versions showing each to a portion of traffic.
- Run test – Allow sufficient time and traffic to produce statistically significant results.
- Review findings – Evaluate changes in click rate, add to cart rate, conversion rate between variants.
- Implement winning version – Make the highest performing option the default product description.
Continuous small-scale testing improves copy, layout, images and other elements over time.
Driving External Traffic to Amazon Listings
Increase visibility by promoting listings off Amazon:
- Run Amazon DSP ads – Display ads across external sites and apps.
- Email subscribers – Send deals or new arrivals to customer email lists.
- Promote on social media – Post deals and content natively or through paid ads.
- Create giveaways – Incentivize shares and listings clicks through contests requiring entry via your listing URL.
- Use affiliate marketing – Compensate relevant external sites for reviews and links back to listings.
- Publish blog content – Organically reference products in roundups, gift guides, and recommendations.
Expanding reach beyond Amazon search introduces products to new audiences.
Optimizing Amazon Product Descriptions for Mobile
With increasing mobile traffic, make descriptions mobile-friendly:
- Concise paragraphs – Break up long blocks of text for easy scrolling.
- Scannable formatting – Use bullets, short sentences, and emphasis to highlight key points.
- Primary details first – Lead with the most essential info readers need to grasp context quickly.
- Technical specs last – Move secondary details like dimensions and component lists to the end since less critical for initial understanding.
- Compelling visuals – Well designed images, charts and videos engage small screens.
- Clear action steps – Ensure call-to-actions like Add to Cart links are tap-friendly.
Streamline content for thumb stopping power on mobile without sacrificing critical information.
Localizing Amazon Listings Through Translations
To reach international buyers, translate listings:
- Translate descriptions – Adapt product details and messaging to resonate locally.
- Local formatting – Use units, date and numerical formatting aligned to region.
- Follow cultural norms – Adjust messaging tone, promotion mechanics etc as needed.
- Tools to assist – Product translation services like Gengo. Or free options like Google Translate to start.
- Human touch – Review machine translations. Refine awkward phrasing for smoother readability.
Localization demonstrates respect while unlocking new markets. Even machine-translated descriptions help, but ideally have human fluent speakers refine them.
Amazon Description Template Format
This formula helps structure compelling descriptions:
Hook interest with emotional resonance or intrigue relevant to the product.
Describe what the product is, its purpose and highlight the main benefits or outcomes it provides customers.
Use bullet points to present important capabilities, capacities, components and attributes. Focus on differentiators.
Elaborate on materials, sizes, power etc. Help customers evaluate suitability for purpose. Insert comparison charts if helpful.
Illustrate ways customers can use and integrate the product to enhance life or work. Get creative with examples.
Weave in positive ratings, reviews, or expert recommendations that lend credibility.
Close with a clear CTA prompting the next step like Add to Cart or Buy Now. You can also include limited-time language or scarcity messaging.
This format incorporates benefits, practical info and motivational hooks resulting in high-converting descriptions.
Amazon Description SEO Tips
Optimizing descriptions for Amazon’s A9 algorithm:
- Front-load keywords – Focus high-visibility placement of keywords visitors are searching for near the top of descriptions.
- Include long-tail variations – Work in longer-form keyword phrases capturing more focused intent.
- Avoid over-optimization – Read as helpful information, not forced keyword vomit.
- Match page content – Ensure keywords align with the actual product specs on the page.
- Leverage features – Enhanced Brand Content and A+ Content modules allow adding more keywords.
- Monitor rankings – Check keyword placement routinely and tweak descriptions over time to inch up.
Keyword integration takes finesse. Avoid awkwardness piling keywords that undermine the helpfulness.
Enhancing Product Descriptions With External Content
Supplement the core description copy with additional engaging content:
- Infographics – Use visual representations of key data like comparison charts. Creates more eye-catching descriptions.
- Photos and videos – Demonstrate product usage and details. Can be added via A+ Content.
- Badges and certifications – Display safety, compliance and quality badges prominently to build trust.
- Parent and child variations – Add robust descriptions tailored to each product variant.
- Brand story – Share your company’s founding mission and commitment to customers.
Expanded descriptive content keeps listings fresh and establish expertise.
Amazon Description Length Best Practices
Keep these optimal word counts in mind:
- Headline – 60 characters or fewer
- Bullet points – up to 250 characters each
- Paragraphs – 3-5 concise sentences, around 50 words per graf
- Full descriptions – 300-3000 words depending on product complexity
Aim for skimmable yet sufficiently detailed descriptions. Omit needless fluff or chatter diluting the most critical information customers need to make informed purchase decisions.
Amazon Description Metrics to Track
Gauge description impact through:
- Click-through-Rate – Clicks from search results divided by impressions. Descriptions attract interest.
- Bounce rate – Single page sessions indicate poor engagement.
- Pages per session – More pageviews shows sticky listings.
- Conversion rate – Sales divided by site visitors. Strong conversion indicates compelling descriptions.
- Sales velocity – Faster sales velocity points to effective copy.
Analyzing metrics identifies description opportunities like adding visuals if low CTR. Continuously refine wording and presentation.
Amazon Description Mistakes to Avoid
What not to do when crafting Amazon product descriptions:
- Keyword stuffing – Avoid jamming descriptions with keywords that don’t align with the actual product specifics and usage. Make insertion natural.
- Misrepresenting product – Embellishing capabilities or features that don’t match the actual item destroys trust and leads to returns.
- Too short – Don’t be overly concise to the point of ambiguity. Provide sufficient details for customers to evaluate effectively.
- Too technical – Not everyone relates to technical jargon and specs. Balance details with easy to grasp explanations of benefits.
- Incomplete information – Missing key dimensions, components, capacities etc leaves customers uncertain if the product suits their needs.
- Overselling – Flowery language full of hype but short on substance turns off many buyers. Focus on meaningful differentiation.
Amazon Description Key Takeaways
- Clearly explain details, communicate benefits, build trust
- Lead with power words and key product differentiators
- Speak to the customer and their motivations
- Include keywords naturally and match page content
- Use formatting for easy skimming on all devices
- Drive action with compelling calls-to-action
- Refine continually based on metrics and testing
Great descriptions masterfully blend relevant information with psychological influence culminating in higher conversions.
Amazon product descriptions must inform and inspire visitors to become satisfied customers. This guide provided frameworks and tactics to craft page copy that sells. Blend details, emotional hooks, great formatting and broad visibility. Continuously refine descriptions based on data-driven insights. Compelling product copy underpins the content marketing fueling sustained Amazon growth.